Learning Swahili

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Each and every day I'm learning how little Kiswahili I know. However, the guards, housekeeper, and gardener are excellent teachers.

I have been on the hunt for mint because there is a lot of sugar, soda water, and rum but I have not seen a mint plant anywhere or a Swahili word or phrase for mint. Finally, the internet provided me with some assistance and the guards and I figured out the word: nanaa. Not nanasi (pineapple). Hopefully, Nestor (our gardener) can locate some nanaa...cause it is nearing happy hour!!

A little Kiswahili lesson:
kahawa - coffee
chai - tea
maji - water
Asante sana - Thank you
Karibu - Welcome
rafiki - friend
simba - lion

I'm up to a total of 7 words/phrases. I've got a LONG way to go...


3 comments:

MorrisH3 said...

Glad to see that you're back to blogging. Might I recommend a basil gimlet as well. 1 part simple syrup, 2 parts gin (real gin not bombay), 4 crushed basil leaves, 1 part lime juice, and 1 basil leaf for garnish.

mkvenetis said...

love that simba = lion

Liam said...

Nestor sure as hell found the mint. I think he found all the mint in Tanzania and brought it back to the house with the 20,000TSH we gave him. Plus, he brought back change. Now we have mint growing everywhere in the yard, and in everything we drink. Oh, and did I mention it is on the counter and stove too.!!!!

Post a Comment