Welcome to Tanzania..

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Despite all the chaos of the past month, we are here. In our humble abode,which I might add is bigger than the house we are actually paying for - thank you tax dollars. We have been in Tanzania for two weeks and thus far, we can't complain. The food is delicious, the bugs are staying away, and the weather is a comfortable 70-80 degrees without a lot of humidity. We have guards for protection and a housekeeper and gardener for our sanity. Life is a lot slower - which is actually what we need after losing Nora and reshuffling our lives.

We haven't really done that much because Liam has been working on paperwork so we can begin wandering Africa. We have been wandering around the Msasani Penisula, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Need to take it a little further out into the city but we are still trying to remember how to drive in the right direction.

Here are a couple of funny stories from the past two weeks:
1 - Not too long ago I was having a conversation with one of our guards about snakes. He proceeded to tell me that snakes live in our front yard in a giant tree. He told me not to worry about the green ones (GREEN MAMBA) because they will just come down the tree, look at you, and go right back up. But, the black ones (BLACK MAMBA) will come after you. So, apparently of the two snakes with some of the most deadly neurotoxins in the world, the message I'm supposed to take is I hope there are only GREEN mambas in my tree??!!!!????!!!

2 - While Liam and I were at Bongoyo Island this past weekend, we were walking through a tidal pool (lagoon at high tide). At one point, I see an eel playing in the water and swimming towards Liam. Now, did I react like a calm cool collected adult. ABSOLUTELY NOT. I started screaming "EEL! EEL! EEL!" and running towards the nearest rock to jump on. Liam was a few steps behind me. Needless to say, I then received a stern lecture from my husband about how to identify potential threats by using the face of a clock. I'm pretty much going to guarantee that the next time something like that happens...I'm still going to start screaming and RUN! I need to find a book on oceanic animals in this area so we can start snorkeling and diving (and be less of a chicken shit once I'm educated on what can and will hurt you) once my dive book shows up.

I posted pictures on Facebook of our recent adventure to Bongoyo Island - Here's the link if you would like to see them: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.737896212939.2229365.2808561&l=f7cf7dee77&type=1

Until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment