Ruaha River Lodge to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Thursday, September 8, 2011



September 1, 2011

After almost three weeks on the road, it’s time to head home. We are both ready. After the lack of sleep from Mr. & Mrs. Lions, we were awake as the first rays of sunlight popped over the horizon. The lions were still out and about so we thought we would peek out of our banda and see if we could find them and take a few pictures of the sunrise.  No lions in sight. But, sat outside and enjoyed the tranquility of the lodge.

Got dressed and headed to the dining room for breakfast. Since the park didn’t open the gates until 7am – might as well eat before we got on the road. Left the camp at 0830 and were on our way. Made it to Iringa by 1100. Very uneventful drive. Stopped and bought gas and away we went. I fell asleep – FINALLY. After three nights of not great slumber, I was exhausted. All I could muster was “Stupid lions. Stupid mosque.” Liam laughed at me because that’s what I was complaining about – that I had the opportunity to sleep in a world-class resort with lions walking around and I didn’t like their volume. He’s right, it is funny. But, still. Stupid lions.

At one point during my brief nap, my eyes popped up to see a massive tour bus heading in my general direction.  They immediately snapped back shut. Because in my world, if I close my eyes, there is no bus. And, therefore, it can’t squish me like a little bug.

Since it was the 2nd night of Eid, we were EXTREMELY lucky and managed to make it through Dar with almost zero traffic. This is virtually an impossible task. Went and grabbed dinner with friends and came home to sleep.

0 comments:

Post a Comment