Singida, Tanzania to Ruaha River Lodge

Monday, September 5, 2011

August 29, 2011


Checked out of the hotel, got some gas and headed out of town. We wanted to leave as early as possible to arrive at the Foxes Safari camp (Ruaha River lodge) to enjoy the five star accommodations and get cleaned up after our experience last night.


On the way out of town, we passed another first. A guy had obviously been hit by a truck (probably without their lights on - gotta save that electricity) as he was trying to cross the street. He was not alive and very mangled. Not something I want to see until after I’ve had my coffee.


Made it to Dodoma. Dodoma is the official capital of Tanzania, but everything is in Dar, so I’m a little confused why they pretend Dodoma is the capital. Dodoma is a crappy town. But, we did find a Toyota dealership that sold tires. We bought one (even though I suggested we buy two) and had it mounted at a tire shop across the street. After watching them put it on the rim, I’m really hoping we don’t need the tire because I’m not sure it will support the car.


Ask around to find out how to find the road from Dodoma to Iringa. There are two paths. One is about 650km heading east then back southwest and the other is about 230 km due south. We wanted to take the straight shot 230 km due south. Everyone said it was a rough road and since it wasn’t rainy season we should be okay. Well, we had been told roads were rough before and they turned out to be nice new tarmac. So, we took a chance and went for the rough road, hoping to save some time. Well, the locals weren’t kidding. It was a VERY rough road. About 10 kms in we realized our back shocks were 100% blown and we were going to have a long bumpy ride. While the drive was beautiful, about 150kms from the end, we were done and there was nothing we could do but keep bouncing down the road.



We were about 70-100kms away from Iringa when another tire blew (think ripped to shreds) after crossing a metal bridge. (The picture is not of the metal bridge that ripped the tire). Kids came running out of everywhere to look at the two mzungus changing their tire. We were in a village in the middle of nowhere. I joked about growing up in BFE Mississippi. I was wrong. I have now literally been to BFE and there really isn’t a thing there. By this point, we had a system down to change the tire. The only problem, the jack wouldn’t lift the car high enough to change the tire. So, we put a couple of bricks under the rim and Liam laid under the car to release the jack. Yep, I pretty much thought he was going to be squished by the Surf. But, he didn’t. And I took a DEEP breath. Found another brick to put under the jack and put the brand new tire on the car and away we went.


I made Liam check the tire every few kms because I didn’t trust the way it was installed. I spent the next 2 hours holding my breath that the tire wouldn’t pop because we didn’t have an alternative for another flat. I pulled a smartass wife moment at some point between bouncing up and down. See, I told Liam we should buy two tires when we were in Dodoma. But, he insisted one would be enough. One day, he is going to learn to listen to me. I’m smarter than I look. But, luckily we made it to Iringa without needing another tire.


After 6 hours of bumping along, we stopped to fill up the car and call the lodge to tell them we were on our way but would be a little late arriving. That’s when we found out the park closed the gate at 7pm and wouldn’t let anyone in. Panic set in. I hadn’t showered and was not feeling so comfortable about sleeping in another shady Tanzanian motel. Tried to convince Liam to just drive to the park and throw a $20 their way – but again he wasn’t willing to listen to my good ideas. Well, we lucked out. We ended up sleeping at the Kalenga West Park & Tours Motel Ltd. Kind of swanky. In an Africa swank kind of way.


Ate dinner in the restaurant and the chef made this salad that had watermelon, banana, green peppers, red onions, corn, and a couple of other things I can’t remember. Sounds a little gross – but man – it was DELICIOUS. Then, we gobbled down some pretty tasty spaghetti and went upstairs to shower and sleep.


Hahahaha. Sleep. Yeah right. The mosque across the street had other ideas for the evening. At approximately 2000 call of prayer began. No big deal. People gotta get their prayers in. However, after two hours of call to prayer, I was over it. I mean come on. Then, at 0430 when they began again, I was seriously considering what I could throw at the mosque megaphones to shut them up. How special do you think you are to be the only religion with loud speakers and the privilege to yell at me in Swahili and Arabic about Allah? Seriously I was OVER it. Probably due to exhaustion. But, now that I’m rested, I do think it is rude that they get speakers and a kick-butt sound system and the rest of the world gets a little bell. Seems unfair doesn’t it. Liam managed to sleep through most of it – well except for when I woke him up – because if I couldn’t sleep – I wasn’t about to let him. But after three deployments to Iraq and A-stan, he just said he was used to the background noise. WTF?!?!?! Background noise? No. That’s the most annoying sound when you are dead tired and don’t speak either language. Promise. (The picture is taken from the head of the bed in the hotel room - the tower thing holds the evil noise makers).


0 comments:

Post a Comment